Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thai Peanut Chicken in the slow cooker


I have been thinking a lot about my schedule for this coming school year.  I will be working at a middle school and commuting with my husband so I will no longer be the first one home at around 3 PM, now I might not be home until around 5 PM.  So I have started researching freezing meals and slow cooker meals.  I am very familiar with using the slow cooker, and usually prepare whatever needs to go in the pot the night before, place it in the slow cooker sleeve, cover it in plastic wrap and store in the fridge.  Then I just pop the whole thing into the slow cooker, add the lid, and set to cook for the whole day.

This particular recipe was taken and adapted from this blog: "365 Days of Slow Cooker by: Stephanie O'Dea" http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2011/02/easy-peanut-butter-chicken-slow-cooker.html

A nice blog where the writer cooked at least one item each night using her slow cooker.  She has done everything from chicken nuggets to desserts in a slow cooker.  Worth checking out if you find yourself doing the same research.

For my version here were the ingredients I used:
4 chicken thighs with bones and skin
4 chicken legs with bones and skin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup of water
Drizzle of sesame oil
1/4 cup of lemon juice
Generous squirt of rooster sauce
Cumin, garlic powder, and pepper (1 tbsp each, or more to your taste)
3/4 cup of peanut butter (I intended to use crunchy...but realized all I had was Peter Pan my husband bought on sale.)
1 large onion in large chunks
2 red bell peppers cut in large chunks
1/2 green bell pepper diced (I don't like eating large chunks of green bell pepper, but do like the flavor)

Cover and cook for 6 hours on high in the slow cooker.  Serve over steamed rice with steamed broccoli or other veggie (I always have frozen broccoli on hand)

*****If I had fresh garlic I would have also added a few cloves of crushed garlic
*****Next time I would use boneless/skinless thighs and real peanut butter, because the spread looks crumbly.

**maybe add Chopped cashews to sprinkle on top (the only nuts I have on hand)










No comments:

Post a Comment